DrRalston
DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
47051559

Got into a mouse box with 1 oz .01% bromethalin, so far

Customer Question

got into a mouse box with 1 oz .01% bromethalin
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: so far nothing she is active and happy. this happened during the day sometime while i wax away
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: not showing any sughs of pain
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jay-jay 4 years
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: j-j
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about J-j?
Customer: she's a beagle mix
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I'm sorry to hear this has happened. How long has it been since the ingestion?

Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

Hello? Are you currently online?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i dont know i have her eating a little food with hydrogen peroxide to get her to throw it up
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i am on line
Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

Good idea! That's the first step!! Any luck with that yet?

First, let me say this is a severe emergency. Even after inducing vomiting, I am going to recommend that you take your pet to hospital. This is because vomiting is the first step to lower the toxin. However, this poison can take a long time to fully get into the system.

For this you might need to have them give your pet activated charcoal. This is like a black mushy charcoal based goo that looks a lot like what you might find in an aquarium filter but pureed. It absorbs toxins over time.

This is some help you might use for inducing vomit.

1. Into a small bowl, glass or mug, pour some three percent hydrogen peroxide from the bottle (you might get lucky and some pets will drink it, most won't and so you go to number 2....)

2. Using an eyedropper or baster, draw up about 1 tbsp of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 #'s

3. Open the mouth slightly and insert the end of the syringe. Squirt a steady stream of the hydrogen peroxide toward the back of the mouth, which will force the pet to swallow it. Then kind of jog the dog around to mix it up in the stomach. You might even roll your dog around on the ground a few times.

4. Wait ten minutes. If your pet hasn't yet started to vomit, repeat steps 2 and 3.

5. You can repeat this up to 3 times.

If that doesn't work a 1/2 to a teaspoon of salt on the back of the tongue will sometimes work.

Let me get you some more information...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she is vomiting now
Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

Ok, good first step

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
far no green stuff
Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

That's good, but still, if it has been more than a few hours, it could already be into the intestine.

Now, the problem with this poison is that it is NOT like most of the older baits. For those the remedy was often giving vitamin K injections or adding it into a fatty meal. The old toxins used to prevent clotting, and the mouse or rat would bleed out basically.

Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

I think you will still want to take your pet to the ER.

And I want to give you this PDF if it works. If not I will attempt to send it as a different file type.

You will want to have a quick look at it, and you might want to take it with you to your Veterinarian since they might not know how to treat this toxin. ERs are going to be better equipped.

Here is that file:

Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

http://www.aspcapro.org/sites/pro/files/0903toxbrief.pdf

Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me from the package of the poison, is it listed the total amount of toxin in the container? This should be listed in milligrams.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
28g bait block at .01% bromethalin
Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

She's about 35 pounds?

Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

Are you still there?

This is an emergency. I am going to recommend that you take your dog into the Veterinarian.

It has been at least one hour since you posted your original comments, and we need to act quickly.

I am sorry I will not be able to help you further.

Good luck!Customer/p>

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks we are at the vet hospital now
Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

Ok awesome!

Were you able to see that file I sent?

Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

If you get a chance, update me on how this goes. As a newer toxin we still don't see a lot of cases, and I would like to know how things turn out for you. If you have any questions, I should be around later, or tomorrow.

Good luck! I'm glad you took her in, it's the right choice.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i did get the file... i will update you.
Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

Thank you.

I will check back in tomorrow.

Good luck!

Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

So, how did it go last night?

Any questions?

DrR

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
good dog is doing well vet did the math and felt the dose was small enough did activated charcoal
Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

Great! Activated charcoal is kind of messy. And you might see some black poop in the next couple of days. That might be normal just from the activated charcoal.

Good luck!

Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrRalston