Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Got into a mouse box with 1 oz .01% bromethalin, so far

Customer Question
Got into a mouse...

Got into a mouse box with 1 oz .01% bromethalin

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

So far nothing she is active and happy. this happened during the day sometime while i wax away

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Not showing any sughs of pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Jay-jay 4 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

J-j

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about J-j?

She's a beagle mix

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
DrRalston
DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian

Hello! I'm sorry to hear this has happened. How long has it been since the ingestion?

Hello? Are you currently online?

i dont know i have her eating a little food with hydrogen peroxide to get her to throw it up
i am on line

Good idea! That's the first step!! Any luck with that yet?

First, let me say this is a severe emergency. Even after inducing vomiting, I am going to recommend that you take your pet to hospital. This is because vomiting is the first step to lower the toxin. However, this poison can take a long time to fully get into the system.

For this you might need to have them give your pet activated charcoal. This is like a black mushy charcoal based goo that looks a lot like what you might find in an aquarium filter but pureed. It absorbs toxins over time.

This is some help you might use for inducing vomit.

1. Into a small bowl, glass or mug, pour some three percent hydrogen peroxide from the bottle (you might get lucky and some pets will drink it, most won't and so you go to number 2....)

2. Using an eyedropper or baster, draw up about 1 tbsp of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 #'s

3. Open the mouth slightly and insert the end of the syringe. Squirt a steady stream of the hydrogen peroxide toward the back of the mouth, which will force the pet to swallow it. Then kind of jog the dog around to mix it up in the stomach. You might even roll your dog around on the ground a few times.

4. Wait ten minutes. If your pet hasn't yet started to vomit, repeat steps 2 and 3.

5. You can repeat this up to 3 times.

If that doesn't work a 1/2 to a teaspoon of salt on the back of the tongue will sometimes work.

Let me get you some more information...

she is vomiting now

Ok, good first step

far no green stuff

That's good, but still, if it has been more than a few hours, it could already be into the intestine.

Now, the problem with this poison is that it is NOT like most of the older baits. For those the remedy was often giving vitamin K injections or adding it into a fatty meal. The old toxins used to prevent clotting, and the mouse or rat would bleed out basically.

I think you will still want to take your pet to the ER.

And I want to give you this PDF if it works. If not I will attempt to send it as a different file type.

You will want to have a quick look at it, and you might want to take it with you to your Veterinarian since they might not know how to treat this toxin. ERs are going to be better equipped.

Here is that file:

http://www.aspcapro.org/sites/pro/files/0903toxbrief.pdf

Can you tell me from the package of the poison, is it listed the total amount of toxin in the container? This should be listed in milligrams.

28g bait block at .01% bromethalin

She's about 35 pounds?

Are you still there?

This is an emergency. I am going to recommend that you take your dog into the Veterinarian.

It has been at least one hour since you posted your original comments, and we need to act quickly.

I am sorry I will not be able to help you further.

Good luck!Customer/p>

thanks we are at the vet hospital now

Ok awesome!

Were you able to see that file I sent?

If you get a chance, update me on how this goes. As a newer toxin we still don't see a lot of cases, and I would like to know how things turn out for you. If you have any questions, I should be around later, or tomorrow.

Good luck! I'm glad you took her in, it's the right choice.

i did get the file... i will update you.

Thank you.

I will check back in tomorrow.

Good luck!

So, how did it go last night?

Any questions?

DrR

good dog is doing well vet did the math and felt the dose was small enough did activated charcoal

Great! Activated charcoal is kind of messy. And you might see some black poop in the next couple of days. That might be normal just from the activated charcoal.

Good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrRalston
DrRalston
DrRalston
DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian