Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

6 YR OLD BASENJI TERRIER CROSS SUDDENLY GOT HIVES ON ALL 4

Customer Question

6 YR OLD BASENJI TERRIER CROSS SUDDENLY GOT HIVES ON ALL 4 FEET ABOUT 6 WEEKS AGO. WASHING THEM, GIVING AN ANTIHISTAMINE, USING 1% HYDROCORTIZONE CREAM, THEYGET BETTER BUT AS SOON AS HE GOES AND RUNS AROUND ON THE DRY GRASS WORSE AGAIN. I CAN'T KEEP HIM OFF THE GRASS, AND CAN'T AFFORD A VET VISIT. aNY IDEAS?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kuhio
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kuhio?
Customer: He has not had this before, only on his feet, it itches but he isn't going crazy, just miserable.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

It might be some type of contact allergy from the grass or something in a grassy area.

I would continue doing what you are doing, and maybe add some dog booties to the mix. These can be purchased at most pet stores or online. If it is a contact allergy then the booties should help.

I might also think about the future as once allergies kick in they are likely to last for the year or for the season, so making a run area for the dog with ground cover such as wood chips, pea gravel or a cemented pen may be something you can invest in in the future.

Some antihistamines work better on some dogs than other dogs. Which are you using?