Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She started hacking like coughing Last Fri. She always hacks

Customer Question
like when she gets excited...
She started hacking like coughing Last Fri. She always hacks like when she gets excited. But this was different. More like coughing but dry. I've been giving her otc cough and chest congestion med for children. Her plans are loosening. But she's tired. She's suppose to be a teacup Chihuahua. She's more on the heavier side. Like 7 or 8 pds. She's 8 years and 4 months old. Don't know what else to give her. She's continuously hacking and I see where she swallows the after phlegm. I just found some old Azythromycin that used to be my granddaughters. But it's old. It's from 7- 5- 10. Do I throw it away???
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Supposedly Beane Baby since she was so small. But for short it's always been just BB.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: This is the very first time she's ever gotten Like This. She trys to stop but she's at the point where she has phlegm stuck in her throat and wheeled and continues hacking. I know she's a little over weight. But she's always been ok.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

She's done the collapsing trachea, the kennel cough. But not continuously. Let me try to video her while coughing

I'll be standing by.

Please let me know you're there. I'm having trouble.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I"ll follow up for PitRottMommy for you. While any age dog can cough due to a simple respiratory infection such as infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough"), I need to consider more dire causes of coughing in a Chihuahua of BB's age year such as congestive heart failure (important in her breed), chronic sterile bronchitis, pneumonia, heartworm disease, collapsing trachea, and neoplasia (cancer) in the chest cavity. I wouldn't hesitate to have BB's vet carefully auscultate (listen to) and X-ray BB's chest at your earliest convenience. I find that sending these older coughing dogs home with an antibiotic and cough suppressant instead of promptly X-raying them is a mistake too often made by veterinarians.

Please discard the very outdated azithromycin. Please clarify "Her plans are loosening."

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian