Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is itching alot. I recently noticed a flea on her so

Customer Question

My dog is itching alot. I recently noticed a flea on her so treated her for fleas. I usually prevent fleas naturally with ACV and neem oïl, but couldn't get to the end of this itching problem. So I gave her a spot-on treatment to make sure there would be no more fleas. But the itching problem persists. My vet tells me she is allergic to flea bites/saliva but I don't want to give her any other chemical treatment than what I've already given her. I am hoping quercetin might relieve her itch, but not sure of the dosage required.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Louna, she is 2 and a half years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Louna?
Customer: No. she is a healthy dog, She is fed grain free kibble in the morning (a bit less than a 1/2 daily dose) and fresh meat and vegetables with vitamin suppléments in the evening
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am glad to hear that you have addressed the fleas themselves, but it does sound like Louna is still irritated by the allergic reaction the flea's saliva will have kicked off. Therefore, further to that, we'd want to be addressing that allergy. You could try Quercetin if you wished but you can only give 5 to 10 mg/lb twice daily. Avoid any preparations that also have Bromelain, as the preparations with both often are imbalanced and will lead to Bromelain overdose. Otherwise, you could also use Benadryl (0.5-2mg/lb every 8-12 hours) as a means of soothing the allergy itself to get her settled and comfortable with her skin.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**