Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

Excessive panting and pacing won't settle. Has just started

Customer Question

excessive panting and pacing won't settle. Has just started deramaxx for joint pain and is taking glucosamine. Lab 12 years old . Also has developed a honking cough and an occasional unproductive gag . Saw vet Monday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Boomer
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boomer?
Customer: Has neurological damage to one back leg
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

hI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this...sounds to me like your dog is in more pain than what deramaxx by itself is going to help...was your dog this way prior to starting deramaxx?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

So, let me know about the above.....but my suspicion is that we still have some pain and maybe some cognitive dysfunction as well...I would ask your vet for the diet science diet JD diet for joints...it is great and really helps these old timers alot.....also I would recommend adding in some gabapentin for the nerve pain your dog has but this needs to be done slowly....I would start with low dose once daily and very slowly work up to final dose over the course of several weeks time...reason for this is that this drug can be quite sedating and patients need time to slowly acclimate to it......as a rehab certified vet I also use alot of PS-GAG for may patients and I teach my owners how to inject their own dogs at home...many vets don't realize this can be given as a SQ injection...so that is how I would approach....naturally if none of that gets your dog comfortable or if this pacing continue then you should see your vet asap. Hope that helps you. Sincerely,dRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.
Hi Lorraine Kamp,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B