Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pitbull scratches her self on anything and everything…

Customer Question
My pitbull scratches her...

My pitbull scratches her self on anything and everything until her back starts bleeding

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 11 months ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

How long has this been going on?

How old is she?

Does she ever chew at her feet?

Does she have any rash or hair loss in those areas?

I thought it was because of the fleas but I wash her bought different brands of the monthly flee stuff you put on there backs. She's 3 1/2 sometimes she chews but not regularly. No hair loss
I can't seem to keep the flees off her or my other dog

So what are you using for fleas now?

The last stuff I used is called vet hard plus
Sorry vet guard plus

Where did you get it?

How often are you applying it?

Are you treating the house as well as the dogs?

I bought it at Belair I apply it once a month and I do daily cleaning of the house

Ok. I think we've discovered the problem.

Although a daily cleaning of the house is good...you may need to use something like a flea=bomb to get them out of your house.

Fleas...like lots of parasites....can live off the dog for quite some time, so my guess is that the dogs are getting reinfected from the house.

If this were me, I'd use a product like Frontline or Vectra on the dogs. Then, each time you apply the medication to the dogs, use a flea bomb in the house (you and any animals will need to leave the house while it works).

If you do this for 3 months in a row...that should take care of the problem on the dogs and in the house.

I hope this helps.

What about her scratching her self and making it bleed

Once the fleas are gone, she'll likely stop scratching.

Fleas are really irritating and cause the dog to be really itchy. Once they're gone, I bet the scratching stops too.

What should I put on her open wounds?

If you wanted to try a little Neosporin, you absolutely can. Just use a really thin layer, and then try to keep her from licking for 10 minutes or so to give the medication time to sink in and get to work.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN