Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My pitbull scratches her self on anything and everything

Customer Question

My pitbull scratches her self on anything and everything until her back starts bleeding
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

How long has this been going on?

How old is she?

Does she ever chew at her feet?

Does she have any rash or hair loss in those areas?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I thought it was because of the fleas but I wash her bought different brands of the monthly flee stuff you put on there backs. She's 3 1/2 sometimes she chews but not regularly. No hair loss
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't seem to keep the flees off her or my other dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

So what are you using for fleas now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The last stuff I used is called vet hard plus
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry vet guard plus
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Where did you get it?

How often are you applying it?

Are you treating the house as well as the dogs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I bought it at Belair I apply it once a month and I do daily cleaning of the house
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Ok. I think we've discovered the problem.

Although a daily cleaning of the house is good...you may need to use something like a flea=bomb to get them out of your house.

Fleas...like lots of parasites....can live off the dog for quite some time, so my guess is that the dogs are getting reinfected from the house.

If this were me, I'd use a product like Frontline or Vectra on the dogs. Then, each time you apply the medication to the dogs, use a flea bomb in the house (you and any animals will need to leave the house while it works).

If you do this for 3 months in a row...that should take care of the problem on the dogs and in the house.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What about her scratching her self and making it bleed
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Once the fleas are gone, she'll likely stop scratching.

Fleas are really irritating and cause the dog to be really itchy. Once they're gone, I bet the scratching stops too.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What should I put on her open wounds?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

If you wanted to try a little Neosporin, you absolutely can. Just use a really thin layer, and then try to keep her from licking for 10 minutes or so to give the medication time to sink in and get to work.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN