Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

She seems to have developed little bumps all over her back.

Customer Question

hi, she seems to have developed little bumps all over her back. It started after a grooming session so I thought she was allergic to the razor or shampoo they used but it's been a while now I bathed her myself and the bumps seemed to have spread from her right side to all over
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: buttercup is 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buttercup?
Customer: she is a 9 pound wire haired yorkie
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I beleive that you're describing a post-grooming pyoderma - a bacterial skin infection usually caused by Staph. Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. If I'm correct, treatment will consist of an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing twice weekly in a chlorhexidine- or benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten resolution of the infection. The shampoos can be found over the counter in pet/feed stores, your vet hospital, or online. The antibiotic is a prescription drug available only from an attending vet. (We’re not allowed to prescribe through this venue.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can feel them better than I can see them because they are small bumps and close to the skin. She is blond so it makes it harder to see the light colored bumps

I understand. A superficial spreading pyoderma is most likely and that's best treated as I posted above. We believe that contaminated grooming instruments, shampoos, and other liquids are responsible for post-grooming pyodermas. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?