Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She's limping and is in obvious pain from her hip. We've…

Customer Question
Hi. She's limping and...

Hi. She's limping and is in obvious pain from her hip.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

We've been giving her duexis until we can get her to a vet and it clearly helps. But I also think they may be hurting her stomach. She is an 8 month old Boxer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes, a Boxer pup who's 8 months old. She's almost as big as our full grown Boxer.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No visible wound on her foot but obvious tenderness in hip area.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Boxer's name?

Her name is Bella. :)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

About a month ago she did have odd injuries to her front paws - they were cut up between her toes. I believe a neighbor is hurting and/or trying to kill her.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you.

Duexis contains both ibuprofen (a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug/NSAID) and famotidine (an antacid). Ibuprofen (and naproxen) are NSAIDS that should be avoided in dogs due to their toxicity. At 50 mg per pound of body weight ibuprofen can cause gastrointestinal ulcers. At lesser doses, gastorointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea may arise. The famotidine will be partially protective, thankfully, but you do need to stop administering the Duexis. Bella's vet has safer and more effective NSAIDs designed for dogs which are likely to be prescribed after the vet examines and perhaps X-rays Bella. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I've heard that Boxers are prone to hip dysplasia. Is this true? If so, at what age does it typically present and does it sound like what may be going on?

The larger breeds are more likely to be dysplastic. The age at which dysplasia manifests is directly related to its severity. Hip dysplasia must always be a consideration when chronic hind limb lameness arises. The diagnosis is relatively straightforward. A physical exam may reveal pain upon hyperextension and/or hyperflexion of the hip(s) and while sedated, a positive Ortolani sign (indicaticating joint laxity) and X-rays of the hips can be confirmative. Please note, however, that X-rays at less than 2 years of age in large breed dogs may not be fully represnetative of what the hips will look like at maturity. Please continue our conversation if you wish.