Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We came back from vacation to our 10 year dog not eating.

Customer Question
We came back from...

We came back from vacation to our 10 year dog not eating. She also is having some discharge from her nose that is pinkish tint and crusty. I have tried giving her boiled chicken and she is not interested. She is still going outside to go potty and is drinking water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Chloe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?

No she has always been healthy but can be a picky eater at times. We thought she may have gotten stressed while we were gone but we have been home since Tuesday evening.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she had these signs?

Is the discharge from one or both nostrils?

Any vomiting, sneezing, or coughing?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

We came home Tuesday night from vacation and she had not eaten Monday night and Tuesday morning. She has a little wobbly walking that night and would not eat. Wednesday yesterday she did not eat and she started having the discharge from both nostrils. I cleaned off the crust and her nose continued to run yesterday. Today she seems warm to the touch still not eating.
No coughing, sneezing or vomiting.
Gums are pink
Breathing rate 18
Dog Veterinarian: DrRoyC,
 replied 8 months ago
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that she hasn't those other signs and her breathing rate is within the normal range. Though to see appetite and nasal discharge together raises concerns of an upper airway infection (viral or bacterial). We can also sometimes see these signs with things caught in the nostrils, growths or fungal infections but those tend to be one-sided issues. And I would note that her wobbliness/weakness will likely be a side effect of her being off food.

With this all in mind, if she has been like this a few days, we'd want to be proactive. Ideally we'd want her seen when your vet is open for assessment to confirm our infectious concerns and so that antibiotics and appetite stimulants can be dispensed. Though for the moment, we can try some supportive care. To start, we can start with steam treatment. To do so, you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear discharge from the airway. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. So, if you find that to be an issue, you can make a little ‘steam tent’ with her in a dog crate, the nebulizer next to that, and a bed sheet over both.

Furthermore, if she is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. As well, non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Ocean Mist or Little Noses) can be used. To do so, just tilt the head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Since congestion can affect the appetite, try offering smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help her be able to smell it. Else since Chloe has refused the chicken, you may need to consider syringe feeding watered down canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And that should help with her weakness as we support her.

Overall, this does sound highly suspicious of an upper respiratory based infection . Therefore, you can try the above to help give her some relief. Of course, if these signs linger or are severe (since she is an older lass and cannot take being off food for long), then we'd want the local vet involved. They can confirm our concerns and dispense decongestants (since human ones ) +/- antibiotics to help us get this settled as quick as we can.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )*

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
I went to the vet....

Hello again,

IF she didn't improve with supportive are that is always best.

Best wishes Chloe,

Dr. B.

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian