Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Is there an over the counter alternative to vetropolycin hc?

Customer Question

JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Rotty...was prescribed vetropolycin hc for her eye irritation. She responded fantastic to the ointment...She has a flare up (crusty goop around the eye) about every couple of weeks or so....I put in one dose of the ointment and it goes away....So, I'm wondering instead of vet bill every time the tube of ointment runs out, there is an over the counter alternative to use as a preventative measure?
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Athena, 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Athena?
Customer: My vet said that Rotty's sometimes have a problem with their eyelids curling in....and may need surgery, but didn't think this was an issue with my Rotty....yet...so she prescribed vetropolycin hc...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. No, the HC is hydrocortisone and there are no over the counter products that contain a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as hydrocortisone. If you can get away without a steroid, the over the counter Terramycin ophthalmic ointment contains two antibiotics - polymyxin B and oxytetracycline - and can be found is some pet/feed stores or online such as here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674 (unless you live in California). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.