Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a dog that is extremely fearfull and nervous around…

Customer Question
I have a dog...

I have a dog that is extremely fearfull and nervous around only one person, can I give him human valium or prozac?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

I explained in my question. Only one person that comes to my house causes him freight and vervousness. he shakes and won;t leave my side, if I am not home he hides in the bathroom

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is this new behavior?

No, from the first time he came to the house, it is my grandson so he comes frequently. I have tried treats and everything, nothing will calm the dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Henry and he will be 6 in October, he is half german shepherd and weighs 55 #s very healthy otherwise

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Henry?

I have valium and prozac here. Henry is a wonderful happy friendly dog except with the grandson. I am alone and some thought he was protecting but that is not it in this case

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Hi Jeri.

1) Have the grandson and Henry had any poor experiences together?

2) Is Henry on any other medication at this time?

3) Any history of illness or injury?

4) Has Henry ever acted aggressive toward your grandson?

5) How old is your grandson?

No meds. Adult grandson. One time slightly aggressive until I got there within a minute. He no longer barks just shakes. Gets nervous even if I mention his name

1) Will he be interacting with you grandson without you home on this medication?

2) Also, has Henry been analyzed by a behaviorist with your grandson along to see if this can be approached in a fashion with training and not medication?

3) Have the grandson and Henry had any poor experiences together?

they might be together when I am not home, but not often, I only want to know if it is ok to give this med to him that is all

The reason I am asking these questions is due to the fact that medications like valium and prozac can lower a dog's bite inhibition. The answer you're seeking is not a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer. Can you give either of them? Yes, Henry can take them. However, this may increase the risk of harm to your grandson, particularly if the cause for the behavior has not been addressed.

If you wish to do so on your own accord the dosing instructions are below. I, on the other hand, would urge you to find the root cause of the behavior and address it from there. Your grandson needs to be made aware that Henry should be left alone and not provoked as his behavior may not be predictable on either of these medications. I would give strong preference to attempting to use these under your own supervision with your grandson in your home before allowing him access to Henry in your home, on such medications, without knowing how he will act. This could result in your grandson being harmed.

Dosing info on valium: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/diazepam-valium

Dosing info on prozac: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/fluoxetine-prozac-reconcile

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800