Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Im pretty sure my dog has allergy's and im scared to give…

Customer Question
Im pretty sure my...

Im pretty sure my dog has allergy's and im scared to give him Benadryl

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

He is adopted him from the pound 4 weeks ago sick and with Kennel cough. He has been on meds. and seen by the a vet who gave more meds. The meds are gone now

Veterinarian's Assistant: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

But he still does the reverse sneeze and still sounds congested.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is dRB and I would be happy to help you with this.....what you are describing does not sound like allergies...but more like an unresolved respiratory problem.....has any vet put your dog on Prednisone along with some Doxycycline? That is what I would recommend and that will clear 99% of all respiratory issues.....

I would call the vet you saw and tell them that the situation is not completely resolved and ask them for a tapering course of Prednisone for the congestion and a 2 week course of Doxycycline to clear out any remaining respiratory pathogens like Mycoplasma.....

Please let me know if you need additional help as I will be checking my computer later today and I am happy to answer follow up questions. Sincerely, DRB

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. (You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B