Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Help! my dog ate my sleepeze pill, which is Diphenhydramine

Help! my dog ate my sleepeze pill, which is Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride based! I'm so scared! He is a 60lb dog what should I do, will he sleep it off or should I take him to the vet immediately
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if Pill will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pill?
Customer: Nope just that and it was only 1

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your dog.

Can you tell me the milligram amount of Diphenhydramine that's listed on the package?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
25mg

I'm happy to reassure you that your dog is going to be just fine.

Dihenhydramine is the active ingredient in Benadryl (at least here in the States) which is commonly suggested for many conditions which dogs might experience. The dose is typically about 1 mg per pound of body weight which would be 60 mg for a dog this size.

Therefore, if he only ate one tablet and it's 25 mg, then he's not likely to have any side effects. He might become a little sleepy even at this low of a dose but it should wear off in 12 hours or so.

He'll be fine. Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok that's a relief thank you so much! You've put me at ease now

You're more than welcome.

I'm always glad to provide good news in situations such as this:) Deb