Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

She has a large open wound next to her left front leg, we do

she has a large open wound next to her left front leg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: we do not have any vet near us the closest one is 200 miles away no she isnt bleed it looks like she caught her skin on something and it tore a straight clean cut, but it is deep
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kira
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kira?
Customer: she is a golden reteriver/lab mix

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is she licking the wound?

2- How did the cut occur?

3- How big is the wound?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no he is not licking the wound she can not reach it.
The wound is about 4 inch long
I am not sure how she got the wound. we did not notice until she came into to the house
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am a medical assistant and provide basic first aid to her wound.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

This is what you can do to treat the wound until she is seen by a veterinarian:

1- Do not let her lick the wound or she is going to delay healing and promote an infection. If she does lick pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Then, you can put a light bandage over the wound. The first layer should be gauze with topical antibiotic then secure it with bandage tape. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have no way of getting her to a Vet the closet one is over 200 miles away. I need to know how I can treat it myself. I have over 20 years experience in Medical Field. So me provide the adequate medical care for my dog is not a problem. I have the necessary medical supplies to do so. I just need to know what step to take

Did you get my response above? If you do that the wound she heal by secondary intention as you may already know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do understand that. Ok what can I gave her for the pain. she a large breed and weighs 102lbs

1- Is she currently on any medication?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no she is not on any medication or does not have any pre existing conditions. overall she is a very health dog

You can try Buffered Aspirin 325mg 1.5 tablets every 12 hours for 1 week. You can buy Buffered Aspirin over the counter in any pharmacy.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much Dr Peter. I will update you with her progress

Fair enough.

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is doing great. Thank you for your help

Friend, the wound appears to be a cyst. Continue treating as described above. If this is a cyst it may need to be removed surgically.

You're welcome. :)