Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog walked on a stretch of road that was in the process…

Customer Question
My dog walked on...

My dog walked on a stretch of road that was in the process of being resurfaced. She has some combination of tar/asphalt on her paws which is crusty, black, and refuses to come off to scraping, Dawn, etc.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

The surface was not hot in any way just damp and oily looking

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

No wound. Just all pads coated Bailey, female, 16 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Bailey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?

Old, deaf and blind Otherwise fine

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Bailey.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

There are several methods by which you can try to remove this material from her feet/skin:

First rub vegetable oil into the tar, then wash with the Dawn that you've tried. Repeat several times.

Mineral oil can also be used but avoid paint thinners or anything similar.

You can also try to cut some of the tar off of the fur but take care that you don't cut her.

In most cases, the above will be successful although multiple applications are usually needed.

I hope this helps, Deb

OK. So no turpentine or similar?

That's correct; you don't want to use turpentine or anything similar since it can be corrosive. It may also be absorbed which wouldn't be a good thing either.

Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Bailey. How are his feet? Deb