Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

She has a tooth that is falling out...literally pointing

She has a tooth that is falling out...literally pointing forward instead of up. She is about 12 years old and does have a lot of tartar on it. It is one of her lower canines. She is still eating fine and chewing on rawhides so I don't know if it is bothering her or not. I have an appointment at her vet but it's a week away. Should I be doing anything in the meantime? Will it fall out naturally?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Daisy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?
Customer: She's diabetic but other than that no.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Daisy.

I'm sorry that her tooth is affected in this way but it's good that she's still eating and otherwise acting as if it's not bothering her.....which it actually probably isn't or she'd be acting differently!

This sort of problem isn't common but it's not rare either. It's possible that it will fall out on its own especially if she's still chewing on rawhides or it may not. But, regardless, there's not really anything that you need to do at this point since she's still eating. If she weren't, , then I might suggest that you feed her canned food or soak her dry kibble (if that's what she eats) in water for 15-20 minutes so it turns into the consistency of oatmeal; however, I don't see the advantage of doing so, under the circumstances.

I hope this helps, Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much Dr. Deb! That is so helpful and really puts my mind at ease.

You're more than welcome; glad that I could help:)

Best of luck with her, Deb

Hi Erin,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dr. Deb....she's doing great and her tooth fell out yesterday. Thank you again.

Thanks for taking the time to send me an update. And, that's great news that the tooth fell out on its own:) Take care, Deb