Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My patches paw swallow since yesterday very bad I don't have…

Customer Question
My patches paw swallow...

My patches paw swallow since yesterday very bad I don't have money for a vet right now but need help it's about 25% bigger than what it should be pus need to be release her paw is yellow

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Small chihuahua/shitzu

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know if the Chihuahua will be able to digest that. What is the Chihuahua's name?

Patches

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 9 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for 35+ years. I am sorry Patches is having this problem. The first thing is to get Patches Paw into a warm soak in water and epsom salts. This will help with the swelling as it will help tp draw out some inflammation and may help allow it to Drain. There are a couple of ways to get medical help because Patches will need an antibiotic. Once is the Local Humane society should have a lowcost/free clinic or VCA clincs offer a first free Vet Visit and you would only have to pay for Medications through them if visit is free. This is a link for VCA Clinics:

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/49424cb026884d8297dea95dfef13fe5

The epsom salts soak of the paw is only first aid, but as I mentioned Patches will need an oral Antibiotic to treat the paw internally.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

How is Patches doing since we last chatted? Did you have the Paw treated?

Joan