Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 4 year old cavapoo. She had a loose poop last night

I have a 4 year old cavapoo. She had a loose poop last night before bed. She got sick during the night, threw up twice and had diarrhea. She hasn't been sick since then but felt like she needed to poop this morning. She acted as if she were cold, but is quiet now, not shivering.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of. I have her on 1/4 cup Benifuls dry food, chicken with vegetables, and add 1/3 of the small cans which is also chicken with vegs, opened a new can last night. She is fed in the morning and evening with small treats twice a day. What should I do about feeding her this morning. I go to work in a couple of hours.
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cassie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cassie?
Customer: She is a sweet, good dog, makes a little puddle sometimes when she gets really excited, especially when someone comes in the house

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, vomiting, and diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. If she was shivering this could be a sign of discomfort.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with a veterinarian. Important to rule out things like pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did read your response. I purchased Pepcid 10 mg and have continued to give her 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. After 8 hours fed her five and boiled chicken as instructed. She has done better but did throw up again yesterday morning. So I waited 6 hours and started the treatment again. So far, so good today. She acts very playful as usual, pooped a small amt this morning.
Thank you for following up and your advice. I will continue this treatment for a few days and will keep you informed.
***** *****
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It five, rice

I am happy to learn she is doing better. Thank you for the update, Debra.

You''re welcome. :)

Dr. Peter