Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Having a hard time breathing. Has been to ER vet 2X, and my

Customer Question

Having a hard time breathing. Has been to ER vet 2X, and my regular vet 2X.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: 9 weeks olg, maybe 10
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Now he tries to sleep with his head propped up on the edge of dog bed. He sits on back legs, stands on front legs, with his neck all stretched out.
JA: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lil Jim.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lil?
Customer: He has had chest xray a week ago, with no signs of pnuemonia. He wont eat now, I have had to syringe feed him the soft high energy food from vet
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is now on a second antibiotic, with zero improvement this time. First antibiotic, we got to a point where he had some energy, thought he was getting better, then he relapsed. Medication never stopped. Constant gurgling, but vets tell me its not really in his lungs like pnuemonia but a URI. Green thick mucus was what we started with, and that has stopped producing, but he still has yellow residue at times. Everytime he goes to lay down, he looks distressed and has to sit up, like he is drowning or something. I am thinking he needs to see vet again today, but I dont know what to do to help him. It will be two fulls weeks of this come Sunday. He is running out of time. No swabs have been done, dont know if its canine flu or otherwise. I need answers and direction to help him.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time? Has anyone discussed sending you to a specialist, if they don't have one on staff at the local ER?