Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog ate a large part of her harness including the plastic

Customer Question

My dog ate a large part of her harness including the plastic clips as far as we can tell.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shasta she is 7. She is a large dog, a husky mix. She has eaten many colors before, but never the clips.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shasta?
Customer: She is healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am very sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

At this point , if she does not pass it in the next 48 hour you will have to watch for an obstruction of the bowel. Symptoms of this are sudden lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. If you see any of these, especially if she eats, but vomits shortly after, it means there is no where for the food to go.

You may want to try to help her pass it by adding some pure canned pumpkin to the diet, two tablespoons should do. If you don't see it come out in the stool or the symptoms above set in then stop giving the pumpkin.