Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has hot spots. She gets them every summer. Today I…

Customer Question
My dog has hot...

My dog has hot spots. She gets them every summer. Today I noticed one has appeared on her face and she is digging at it. I have cleaned it with peroxide and am using topical anti-bacterial ointment, which usually speeds healing as long as I can keep her from digging. I believe she is in pain, it is a large spot. Would like to give her 81mg asperin and am wondering if it is safe just for a day or two.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Penny. She is a Puggle, 12 years old in December. Skin allergies has been an issue since she was a puppy. Steroids have worked for severe cases but cause other side affects. I don't like to use them unless necessary.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penny?

She is over weight, but TT4 testing has shown no issue there. Has arthritis in her hips, trouble climbing steps. Recently not eating well. Having trouble breathing when she sleeps. I know that she is near end of life, which saddens me. Would like her to be more comfortable. Having money issues, can't get her to vet for another week.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 9 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

Yes you can give aspirin for a day or two and I will direct you to a link on precautions and dosing. While giving aspirin , do give with food and you may want to give a pepcid AC about a half hour before the aspirin to coat the stomach.

To keep her from scratching the face you may want to invest in a comfy cone. These are a bit easier for a dog to maneuver in than the regular plastic cone because when a dog hits a door frame the collar has some give to it. A comfy cone can also be used for years , so down the road if you need it again you will have it.

Aspirin Do not use Tylenol/acetimenofen or Ibuprofen products

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

Pepcid http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid