Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Very constipated following spaying surgery yesterday.

Customer Question
Very constipated following spaying...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bailey, age 8 months.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?

At the same time as her spaying she had cherry eye repaired.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you are concerned for Bailey.

It is not uncommon for dogs to not have regular stools after abdominal surgery of any sort for several days for a few reasons.

She was fasted before surgery which causes the gut to slow down its motility, and there isn't anything in the gut for that day so there isn't much to make stool. And if she doesn't eat as much as she normally would after surgery her stool production will be less, so she will pass less stool.

Anesthesia slows down normal gut motility and as such stools aren't as regular.

Pain medication can also slow gut motility and lead to mild constipation, especially if opiods were/are being used.

Finally passing a stool involves using the muscles of the abdomen to push out the stool which may hurt a little, so many dogs tend to hold their stools and even when they do try to pass stools they may not push as hard as they normally would because it hurts to do so.

Is she eating and drinking again?

She needs to take in fluids to stimulate gut motility and keep stools soft and comfortable to pass.

It is not unusual for the anesthetic to dampen their appetite. If she has a complete lack of appetite for more than a couple days then that is a bit of a concern.

Has she passed any stool? If so was what she passed normal or was it a very small, hard, dry stool?

As long as she isn't vomiting and is drinking well I would continue getting her out for slow walks as that stimulates normal gut motility and gets stool moving.

If you think she has an upset stomach at all or seems nauseaous after surgery then at home you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These are acid reducers, are very safe, and should help her feel better. They can be used as needed.

You can also try a bland diet with increased fiber to perk her appetite and get her gut moving. A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Add 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber. You can also add low salt beef or chicken broth to her meals as well to improve palatability and get more fluids in which should help as well.

Once she is back to eating well and passing stools you can slowly convert her back by mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.

If you aren't able to get her to eat anything over the next 24 to 36 hours, she begins vomiting or running a fever (rectal temperature greater then 103F), or her incision looks red or swollen or is draining then she should be rechecked by her veterinarian.

Best of luck with Bailey, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****