Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My napolian mastiff has cherry eye in one of her eyes is…

Customer Question
My napolian mastiff has cherry...
My napolian mastiff has cherry eye in one of her eyes is there anything I can do for her with out getting surgery which is too prices now.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Neo. Did your vet diagnose the cherry eye? A cherry eye is the prolapse of the gland of the third eyelid due to weakened cartilage there. Unfortunately, when it prolapses, there is nothing that can be done to get it back to its normal spot short of surgery. All an owner can do is to make sure the eye is comfortable and not becoming dried out or affected in the normal lubrication of the eye due to it being out. Here is a good link on cherry eyes with dogs.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=567