Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 15 year old corgi has become lethargic and hasn't eaten…

Customer Question
My 15 year old...

My 15 year old corgi has become lethargic and hasn't eaten since yesterday. he threw up today and food didn't even look digested. still urinating normally but not drinking much water. almost have to force it. has a runny nose, clear discharge.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the corgi?

He is on rimadyl and tramadol for a fatty deposit and slight bone deterioriation in his front leg. but he gets regular blood work and everything was fine last checkup

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your corgi, please?

While his symptoms are very important, they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. It's important to recognize, however, that there's rarely just one thing going on in a 15 year old. His Rimadyl needs to be stopped; any NSAID such as Rimadyl should be stopped when gastrointestinal distress has arisen. Unless he has normalized at this time, his vet will want to recheck him. He doesn't have the reserve of a much younger dog and so time is of the essence.

Thank you. I ended up taking him to the vet last night and now pending bloodwork results.

You're quite welcome. I'm pleased to hear that he was attended to. I would be happy to review his test results for you if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian