Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog keeps getting blisters between her pads,could this be…

Customer Question
My dog keeps getting...

My dog keeps getting blisters between her pads,could this be an allergy?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

My dog keeps getting blisters between her pads could this be an allergy?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

Yeah it bothers her

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

It keeps happening for long time now I spray her with bacteen it helps but keeps coming back everyday

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Nina a 10 yr old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nina?

No healthy but over weight....this problem just started since we moved new yard

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 9 months ago
Amber Hinson

Hello, I'm Dr. Hinson and I'd like to try and help you.

Any chance you can post some photos of the blisters?

Is it all four feet or just one foot?

Is she licking them?

Does Nina take any medications?

Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 9 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It may be that your dog is having an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction is often the cause when a dog is excessively licking and/or chewing their paws. Thyroid problems can also cause paw problems as well. It’s possible your dog has developed a secondary staph or yeast problem. If yeast you can try some miconazole cream to see if it helps but it isn’t a cure for underlying condition.

You can try baby socks to prevent your dog from licking them. You can also give your dog some Benadryl. The dosage is up to 2 mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Start with 1 mg per pound first and see if it doesn’t help the situation and provide your dog with some relief.

Here is a site on dog allergies

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

Now it is very possible that your dog is allergic to the type of grass in your new yard or if you are using fertalizers or lawn care products, she might be allergic to those. They do make doggie shoes that might help limit her exposure to the grass and or ground as well. See some here:

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/clothing-and-shoes/shoes-and-socks/

Since it is not unusual for a dermatitis to occur with allergies, I would limit exposure by using the socks or booties, give benadryl and try the miconazole cream to help clear any existing dermatitis. If you don't see improvement in a few days, I'd have it checked over by your vet in case antibiotics are needed.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.