Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 6 yr old chihuahua started throwing up blood mid

Customer Question
My 6 yr old...

My 6 yr old chihuahua started throwing up blood mid afternoon quite a bit in stool hour ago still throwing up stomach bile with blood the amount is getting larger

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

I dont know about yesterday but monday got some chicken bones out of trash

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

CJ

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, when we see blood in the vomit or stool this can be caused by infections, ingestion of a foreign body, or even part of a systemic disease. The fact that CJ ate chicken bones on Monday I am concerned that he could have a bone obstructed in the gastrointestinal. If there is a bone obstructed the outcome is likely fatal if it perforates the intestinal tract. For this reason, I would strongly recommend having CJ checked by a veterinarian and x-rays as soon as you can. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination and x-rays as an initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter