Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 6 yr old chihuahua started throwing up blood mid

Customer Question

my 6 yr old chihuahua started throwing up blood mid afternoon quite a bit in stool hour ago still throwing up stomach bile with blood the amount is getting larger
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: i dont know about yesterday but monday got some chicken bones out of trash
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: CJ
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about CJ?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, when we see blood in the vomit or stool this can be caused by infections, ingestion of a foreign body, or even part of a systemic disease. The fact that CJ ate chicken bones on Monday I am concerned that he could have a bone obstructed in the gastrointestinal. If there is a bone obstructed the outcome is likely fatal if it perforates the intestinal tract. For this reason, I would strongly recommend having CJ checked by a veterinarian and x-rays as soon as you can. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination and x-rays as an initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter