Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has hurt his right rear hip/leg. Just happened around 6.

Customer Question
He has hurt his...

He has hurt his right rear hip/leg. Just happened around 6. Panting heavily and shaking still even though he is lying still. Won't bear weight or even stand. He is clearly in pain. Emergency vet is so expensive. I would like to help his pain overnight so I can take him to regular vet first thing in am. He is a 1 year old lab and weighs 70 pounds. Any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bear's name?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 11 months ago
Amber Hinson

Hello I'm Dr. Hinson and I'd like to try and help you.

Do you know how Ovi injured the leg?

I would like to tell you how to help him but it is not really recommended that you give any over the counter medications before going to the vet as those medications will #1, interfere with the exam and #2, those medications often will interfere with medications the vet will want to prescribe.

The only pain medication I can recommend would be Meloxicam if you happen to even have that around. It is a human drug that we do give to animals and it would be OK. You would have had to had it prescribed to you though - it is not an over the counter medication. Do you happen to have that?

Dog Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 11 months ago

Hello. Just checking in to see if you got my message. How is Ovi today?

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

It looks like Dr. Hinson has had to leave the question, but I have stepped in to assist you. How is your companion at this time?