Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is a 3 month old Cocker Spaniel. He doesn't want to

Customer Question
He is a 3...

He is a 3 month old Cocker Spaniel. He doesn't want to eat..I have forced Pedilyte into him. He is lethargic and not showing any energy whatsoever. He has had a bowel movement this Am and is peeing...all he does lay and sleep

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Cocker Spaniel. What is the Cocker Spaniel's name?

Gizmo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gizmo?

He has only had one set of parvo shots. he is not playful at all and very quiet eyes are droopy

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Okay. I was also wanting to know if I can give him baby Tylenol.
Chat is fine

No problem regarding the phone call, just typing out your answer now ...

Okay...waiting patiently

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Gizmo is unwell, but on no account give him Tylenol as this can be toxic to dogs, many human over the counter pain killers can cause side effects and toxicity to dogs, especially young pups.

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check him over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he is suddenly lethargic and has no appetite makes me think that it is possible that he is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in his age group although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature and it is also possible that Gizmo needs specialist support and nursing care if he is to pull through. In the meantime until you can get your dog to a vet all you can do at home is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure he is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Gizmo's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you. I am giving him flavored pedilyte and syringe feeding it to him. What can I give him for the fever?

Nothing over the counter I am afraid, the chances are he really needs prescription drugs such as antibiotics ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Do you think he can be dehydrated? Not eating or drinking on his own

The problem you face is that young pups in this age group are very delicate and they can quickly deteriorate without the correct care and it really does sound as if he is running a temperature.

If he is not vomiting or has diarrhoea then he will not be losing fluids this way so dehydration is less likely, but if he is not drinking on his own then giving him say 2 ml of fluids on the hour would be a good supportive measure until you can get him to a vet. Keeping him stable is one thing but you still have to address the root cause of his symptoms. But give the fluids very slowly and gently as inhalation pneumonia is always possible

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Gizmo is getting on after our recent dialogue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott