Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was wondering how often you can safely deworm a dog? we…

Customer Question
I was wondering how...

I was wondering how often you can safely deworm a dog? we started him on panacur on friday and his last dose was sunday , my concern is that the vet that gave us the treatment only gave us a 40lb dose. when he is 60 lbs. he is scooting and biting at his back end but we havent seen any worms in his scat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

When we took him to the vet in the first place it was because he had a drop in appetite and was shedding all of a sudden really bad, and was acting sore on the front end. no energy. he has gotten a bit better in all areas but still not 100%.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog was given a Panacur treatment for a 40 lb dog, but your dog weighs 60 lbs. It sounds like he has a history of scooting and biting the tail base region. Otherwise, his shedding, lethargy, and appetite have improved somewhat since Friday. Is that a correct summary?

he is a cow dog and we are up on the mountain alot.
hello?

Panacur is safely given and labeled for use for 3-5 day treatments. However, there are many cases where "extra-label" treatment is given for 2 weeks commonly and up to 3 months for certain tapeworms. It is a safe medication that can be given for long periods.

The issue of frequent chewing at the rear and scooting would make one suspicious of impacted anal sacs, tapeworms, fleas, food allergies, perianal fistula, or constipation. If the chewing is above the tail then fleas is highly suspicious. A fecal exam will rule out intestinal parasites. The anal sacs should probably be expressed and the contents examined for infection. If the behavior continues then a food trial with a hypoallergenic diet should be attempted.

Please let me know if you have any other question. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

Please consider leaving a review. Your review is the only way Experts are acknowledged for their service so they can continue helping others. You may leave a review by clicking on the stars on the page.

Please leave a review. Your review is the only way Experts can continue helping other customers.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian