Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog keeps throwing up his food. Sometimes it is right

Customer Question

My dog keeps throwing up his food. Sometimes it is right after he eats, other times it is a few hours later. I have checked his throat and stomach and he doesn't seem to be in any pain. He is keeping down water. I tried feeding him some rice. Yesterday he kept it down, today he threw it up within minutes. Besides the throwing up, he is acting normal.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry Rocky is vomiting. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does he always vomit food?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, this just started the past week. He weights roughly 70 lbs and no pre existing medical conditions. He is current on all his shots and overall healthy 4 year old dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Does he vomit without food?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not that I am aware of or have seen
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

No need to accept the phone call request. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no noise or anything, no cough or gag, just quietly throws it up in a pile and walks away
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, when we see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, etc. to name a few causes.

I am going to make some recommendations that you can try at home if he continues to regurgitate the next step is a hands-on examination with your vet and x-rays as an initial screening test.

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1.5 tablets every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

Note: When you feed him put his eating dish on top of a small stool to force him to raise his head when he is eating.

4- If he continues to regurgitate after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and x-rays.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter