Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

My boxer has all the symptoms of cushings disease, but our

My boxer has all the symptoms of cushings disease, but our vet did the testing which came back non-cushing. If she has all the symptoms what else could she have
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the boxer's name and age?
Customer: sasha is 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sasha?
Customer: the symptoms have only been present for about a year and a half

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Sasha is displaying signs of Cushing's Disease, but the recent test was negative. Some tests are less accurate than others. Do you happen to know the name of the test your veterinarian used (i.e. low dose / high dose dexamethasone suppression, ACTH stim, cortisol/creatinine ratio, etc.)? Also, I am assuming Sasha is drinking more than normal. Can you tell me what other symptoms she has?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she is also eating anything she can find and sleeps only on cool floors. Also she loses her urine without being aware she has. She is going to the vet tomorrow, is there anything I should be asking or anything you would like to know.

Thank you for that information. Cushing's Disease is one of the possibilities for dogs that eat and drink more than normal and with hair loss. The hair loss is most typically around the abdomen. They are also usually panting more and will have what is called a "pendulous abdomen." Other causes of drinking and eating more are diabetes, intestinal disease (i.e. malabsorption), pancreas disease, parasites, Addison's Disease, and neoplasia. A routine blood chemistry will often have an elevated ALP value if Cushing's is suspected. A blood panel will also rule out the majority of other causes except for neoplasia and intestinal related issues. I would recommend to have a fecal exam performed next to rule out parasites, consider a prophylactic dewormer just in case, and look towards having abdominal imaging tests performed (i.e. ultrasound, x-rays). This will hopefully give you a better idea of where the problem is located.

Please let me know if you have any other question. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

Please consider leaving a review. Your review is the only way Experts are acknowledged for their service so they can continue helping others. You may leave a review by clicking on the stars on the page.

Please leave a review. Your review is the only way Experts can continue helping other customers.