Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My puppy ate about a table spoon of salt. She hasn't vomited

Customer Question

My puppy ate about a table spoon of salt. She hasn't vomited yet....
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ellie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ellie?
Customer: 10 weeks old. And I tried making her vomit with hydrogen peroxide.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Ellie. How much does she weigh? How long ago did she eat the salt?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

The toxic dose of salt is 4 grams per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight; she got about 7.5 grams. If she is 5 pounds or more, she did not get a toxic dose.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's 7 lbs. So that answers my question. Ill keep a close eye on her in the next few hours to see if she acts any different.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

My earlier research on the internet said 1 tablespoon of salt was 7.4 grams, but just to be sure I weighed a tablespoon of salt on my gram scale, and got 17 grams, which is more of a concern. How long ago did she get it?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

That means she got 5.65 grams per kilogram, which is a toxic dose.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

This can lead to high levels of sodium in her body, and she may need to be monitored and given IV fluids.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry I gave wrong information before. I was suspicious so I weighed it here, and now I am more concerned.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Gosh I hope you see what I am sending; I am worried about your puppy since I did more research. I would want you to get her to a veterinary clinic right away, if she got a tablespoon of salt and did not vomit.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

How is your puppy doing?