Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My mother has a 5 year old pit that is approximately 70

Customer Question
My mother has a...

My mother has a 5 year old pit bull that is approximately 70 pounds. He started having loose bowel movements yesterday. Today has vomited several times. He has not eaten much today but he is drinking plenty of water. Do you have any recommendations of what he should be taking to alleviate his symptoms?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the pit will be able to digest that. What is the pit's name?

OHis name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Outlaw?

Other than he has had loose bowel movements in the past. Sometimes they are loose and other times they are solid. I know my mother sometimes feeds him table food in addition to his regular dry food.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

It sounds like he has a bout of gastro-enteritis. Has he had any diet change recently?

I would advise feeding a light diet for the next few days - plain boiled chicken and rice, a little scrambled egg, plain white fish or light cottage cheese.
This can help take the strain off an irritated stomach and help things settle down.
Giving ranitidine (zantac) 2-3 times daily as an antacid approximately 1 hour before his meals can help things settle down too.
It should be available over the counter at most pharmacies. For a 70lb dog I would recommend a dose of ~70mg 2-3 times daily.
You should be seeing an improvement over the next few days. At that point, you can start to re-introduce his normal food.

If he continues to vomit over the next 24 hours or if he is not keeping water down, I would recommend having him checked over by your vet.

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling