Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 5 yr old female lab who licks her feet. she white

Customer Question

hi, i have a 5 yr old female lab who licks her feet. she white in color but her feet are brown from staining. i have her on zertak once a day and limited ingredient food. i wash the feet after walks. do i need more?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: i said a white lab dog
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: none she has been doing this for months now
JA: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: lily
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lily?
Customer: none
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. If she continues to lick the feet, she probably needs to be on stronger medication for allergies. Usually the feet licking comes from an environmental allergy. There is something growing in the environment that is causing it. That can eventually lead to bacterial and yeast infections on the feet. In general antihistamines do a poor job of controlling moderate to severe allergies in dogs. She may benefit more from a short course of prednisone (a steroid). I would do that initially to see how she responds. If she responds well but continues to have problems after taking her off, then I would talk to your vet about Apoquel. It is more expensive but does a good job of controlling allergies, can be used year round and has none of the side effects of steroids. I would also look into starting a Omega 3 fish oil supplement made for dogs. Usually 66 mg per pound of body weight of EPA and DHA combined once daily can help with allergy issues. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Lily is doing and to see if you have any other questions.