Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I've just found a large lump on my mother's dog like 5 mins

Customer Question

Hi I've just found a large lump on my mother's dog like 5 mins ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She is nearly 8 and xena
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: 8 and her name is xena
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Xena?
Customer: She was spayed last year
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry you are worried about Xena. Where on her body is the lump?

Many large lumps on dogs are benign fatty tumors, called lipomas. However, it could be more serious; about 15 to 20% of lumps on or below the skin on dogs are not benign. The only way to tell what a lump is, if it is cancer or benign, if it needs to be removed or not is to do FNA, fine needle aspiration. We put a sterile needle into the lump, to get a sample to stain and examine under a microscope. If only fat cells are seen, it is probably a lipoma. If abnormal cells are seen then the lump should be removed.

Pleae let me know what other questions you have and if this is helpful!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I did not hear back from you; I hope you were able to see my answer! Can I help with anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?