Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

She has red irritated vaginal area. Can we use Miconazole

Customer Question

She has red irritated vaginal area. Can we use Miconazole Nitrate 2%?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She is very uncomfortable, itchy and little irritated. We gave her an 1/8 of a Benadryl about 90 minutes ago.
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her vaginal area became irritated and red only a couple hours ago. We do not see fleas on her.s
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not really. She is 3 yrs old and very active.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. I just came online and saw your question; I am sorry that you did not get help from a Just Answer expert before now.

Is she spayed?

Miconazole would be safe, but will only help if this is a yeast infection. If it is inflammation, or a bacterial infection, it won't do much good. If her vulva is red and swollen, a little cortisone ointment such as Cortaid might be helpful to reduce swelling, redness and itching.

How much does she weigh? The dose of Benadryl is 1 mg per pound, up to 3 times a day (so a 12.5 pound dog takes 12.5 mg 3 times a day; a 50 pound dog 50 mg 3 times a day). Benadryl will be helpful if this is an allergic reaction.

Please let me know if I can answer any other of your questions. Again, I am sorry another JA expert did not to your questions last night.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

How is she doing? I did not hear back from you.

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer anything else.