Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a chihuahua ( about 12 lbs) and a chinese crested…

Customer Question
I have a chihuahua...

I have a chihuahua ( about 12 lbs) and a chinese crested (hairless, about 10 lbs). For the last few weeks both dogs have been scratching like crazy. I bathe them in flea shampoo even tho I don't find any on them. What can cause them to itch so badly. It's more than just normal itching.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?

Rambo, age 9yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Rambo?

9 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rambo?

He has a few maybe 4 or 5 spots where the hair is just stubby. Shorter than the normal hair.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 11 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi jaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay. My name is***** have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Unfortunately, there are many conditions that can cause a dog to experience itchiness and hair loss including ringworm, mange, lice, fleas and allergies.

Ringworm can have a scaly reddish rash around the edges of the bare patches though there can be a rash in the bare area as well. Any over the counter antifungal cream for ringworm will work on this. The cream should be applied to an area slightly larger and for about a week after it appears to have cleared up. Since you describe the area as just shorter hair, it doesn't sound like this is the issue though you might check to be sure since it might just be starting. Ringworm is contagious.

There are two types of mange and mange is actually caused by mites. Usually hair loss starts in specific areas of the body before spreading to other areas. Demodectic mange is not contagious and since you have two dogs unrelated to one another it is unlikely to be demodectic and more likely to be sarcoptic mange.

Allergies are a frequent cause of scratching and hair loss and an be caused by many different things. The odds of more than one dog that are unrelated being allergic to the same thing and displaying symptoms together is not likley so I would rule out allergies as the cause.

Below are websites that will go into more detail on these conditions.

Here is a website on Ringworm:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html

Here is two on Mange. Remember sarcoptic mange may be the cause.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_demodectic_mange.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_sarcoptic_mange.html

You can read up on allergies here even if it is unlikely:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

If you suspect an allergy condition is to blame, you can give your dog Benadryl up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours.

There might be a secondary skin condition isuch as staph dermatitis or yeast dermatitis. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition though it does not cure the allergy. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief.

There are other pests like walking dandruff which you can read about below.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/skin/c_multi_cheyletiellosis

Lice can also be an issue. Read about these here:

https://wagwalking.com/condition/lice

In addition, flea shampoos are rarely an effective treatment for fleas. Fleas breed in carpets and grass and in cracks and crevises as well. Effective treatment for fleas includes treating the environment as well as the dogs themselves. Many flea products will also take care of sarcoptic mange mites, other mites and lice as well. You can see a chart of these products here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/flea-product-comparison.pml

Let me give you some other tips on getting rid of parasites in the home. There are quite a few house sprays available to control fleas in the house. Many of these will also help with mites and lice as well. I've used Flea Stop but any that include a growth inhibitor should do the job pretty well. Cutting a piece from a flea collar and adding it to your vacuum bag will kill any fleas that you vacuum up and prevent them from escaping back into the house. Vacuum every day for at least a month to get all the fleas and eggs out of the carpets.

You can also treat the yard if you wish with food grade Diatomaceous earth, which helps kill them in the yard without poisons. This can also be used in carpets as well. You can read more about that here.

http://www.petloveshack.com/fleacontrol.html

Here is a site that goes over itching in dogs.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/pruritus-itchiness-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Since more than one dog is scratching, it is likely to be a contagioius issue rather than one related to an immune system issue like demodectic mange or allergies.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.