Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

He's, hehis stool is half black half brown solid though 6

Customer Question

He's
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: hehis stool is half black half brown solid though 6 moth old puppy otherwise normal
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: charm
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charm?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Alison, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. In an otherwise normal puppy, the various shades of brown/black in stool indicates the length of time it took that stool to move through the intestinal tract during which bacteria metabolize bile into stercobilinogen - the compound that gives stool its characteristic brown/black color. The longer the transit time, the darker the color. The presence of digested blood is a consideration but I would have expected the stool to be diarrheic in that case (melena). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Alison,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?