Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He threw up earlier then did some diarrhea woot ha small…

Customer Question
He threw up...

He threw up earlier then did some diarrhea woot ha small amount of blood and now he is trembling constantly

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Yorkie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Yorkie eat anything unusual?

We took a road trip and he ate something that looked like chicken in the back seat which made him throw up

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Yorkie's name and age?

Dewie 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Yorkie's name?

His name is dewie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dewie?

He only stops trembling when he is wrapped in a blanket. He hasn't eaten or drank anything all day

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How many hours since the last time he vomited?

He threw up for the first time on Friday then had diarrhea that night. Over the weekend he was fine but very picky with eating. Today he did both again at around 12. The first time it had no blood but today it did
Vomited once today and did diarrhea twice

1- We may be in different time zones so giving time will not help me. How many hours since the last time he vomited?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

It's 11pm here so 11 hours Ago he threw up and did diarrhea. He weighs 4 pounds and his gums look a little pale

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when we see bloody diarrhea this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). The vomiting is secondary to what is causing the inflammation. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian, fecal analysis, blood work and x-rays as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination as described above. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian