Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dog is licking her frequently. Her name is Sally. I

Customer Question

My dog is licking her butt frequently.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is Sally. I believe she's around 10 years old if not older. She was a "stray." (All of my animals are)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sally?
Customer: Not really. She seems active and in good health most of the time.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

So sorry to hear your dog is uncomfortable! It sounds like the anal glands are full and irritating. These can be expressed by a groomer or your veterinary office technician can also do this.

Here is more information on anal glands in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/body-structure-function/anal-glands-in-dogs

Until you are able to get this done there are a few things you can do:
- Warm compresses on the rear to help loosen the material in the glands
- Increase the bulk of the stool with fiber such as white rice, canned pumpkin (1 tsp for her size twice daily), or supplementing the normal diet with a light formula diet
-Increase exercise with leash walks 15+ minutes 2-3 times daily to increase defecation of the larger stools
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound given every 8 hours until you can get this taken care of but may cause mild sedation initially

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 15 minutes tonight