Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Shivering, but nose is wet. Loud stomach noises, normal

Customer Question
Shivering, but nose is...

Shivering, but nose is wet. Loud stomach noises, normal bowel, but scooting. won't eat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Maxie 3yrs toy poodle mix 12 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Maxie?

3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maxie?

Beden chasing squirrels:)

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 9 months ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

How long has she been scooting?

Have you noticed at her licking at her bottom?

Is her belly hard to the touch?

Is she spayed?

A week or so, we travel a lot, could it be worms? I have not seen any signs of them.
Belly is not hard, he is eating tonight, male:) Not his usual self.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It sounds to me like he may be having an issue with his anal glands.

All animals have anal glands, and all glands will with that smelly, oily substance. Normally, the glands are emptied when an animal defecates normlly, unfortunately, as you're finding out, some animals have a problem getting them emptied and then they need to be brought in to have them expressed.

There's a great article on them here: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-7468-Pet-Health-Examiner~y2009m7d20-Pet-Health-101-What-are-anal-glands-and-what-problems-can-they-cause-for-dogs-and-cats .

As for what you can do to help them...although there is nothing proven to work on every dog, I've seen some success by adding more fiber to the diet (essentially making the feces bigger, so that it pushes harder on the glands on the way out...hopefully expressing them). You could try adding a little canned pumpkin (only real pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling) to her diet a couple times a week and see if that helps.

Otherwise, the only other real option is either having the vet express them for you, or doing it yourself at home. If you're interested in trying it on your own, there's a great video on how to do that here: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/8453_dog-grooming-basics-glands.htm .

Keep in mind that expressing anal glands is a delicate job and using too much pressure can damage the glands. If you are unable to express the glands yourself, I suggest calling your vet and scheduling an appointment because glands that are difficult to express may actually be impacted and forcing the issue can cause serious damage to the area.

I hope this helps!!

Hi Brenda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN