Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have been noticing a slight behavioral change, and

We have been noticing...

We have been noticing a slight behavioral change, and physical appearance in our boxer during the last week

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

The boxer has become less active, laying around mor. real bloated in the abdomen and tonight noticed possible blood in the stool

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Quinn is the name. 9 yrs 2months in age.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Quinn?

He had a mass cell tumor removed from his left rear leg (January 2016), right rear leg was amputated after being hit by a car (October 2015) Once had a bacterial infection that inflamed his pancreas and prostate (august 2015). Nuetered in January 2017, diagnosed with a heart murmur sept 2016.

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/5/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has he been bloated?

2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

1. we notice the bloating 4 days ago.
2. nothing out of the ordinary in diet. eats in the morning and in evening. Diamond brand dry dog food.
3. Gums are mostly pink, some white. teeth seem white/ normal

No to accept the phone call request. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, his lack of energy is because he does not feel well. When we see blood in the stool this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). This can be caused by many different medical conditions. The fact that you are seeing abdominal distention I believe this could be fluid in the abdomen (ascites) secondary to kidney or liver disease, tumors, etc. Having a history of mast cell tumor places a tumor higher on the list of possible causes. Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. In this case, I would strongly recommend having him checked in the morning by your vet for a hands-on examination, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, change his diet to a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. Do Not give things like Pepto Bismol. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
I appreciate your time and honesty. with it being labor day weekend, our local vets office has been closed the last 4 days. I was seeking some general information about possible causes, which you answered in a honest and timely fashion. I am planning a vet visit first thing in the morning as they open. thank you for your time.

You're welcome. Best of Luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter