Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Unbalanced and foaming at the mouth, shih tzu, Dog,

Customer Question
Unbalanced and foaming at...

Unbalanced and foaming at the mouth

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

shih tzu

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Shih Tzu?

Unbalanced and foaming at the mouth

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Shih Tzu seem to hurt?

All over her body

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the Shih Tzu's name and age?

Star and 7weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Star?

7weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Star?

She's only 1lb and 4oz

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has this been going on for?

When was the last time she ate?

Has she had any vaccines?

Is there anything she could have gotten into?

It's been going on for2 days.
Last she ate was this morning but won't much.
She recieved her 1st set of shots a little over a week ago.
No I don't believe she gotten into anything.

Thanks for the information. I tend to get very concerned about these symptoms in a 7 week old small breed puppy, especially if is has been going on for 2 days. It could just be low blood sugar, which they are very prone to. Even if just low blood sugar, there may be an underlying cause, such as liver problems or parvo virus. If the lack of coordination comes and goes, or if it seems more prevalent after eating, then a liver problem called a portosystemic shunt is very much a concern. It would be something she was born with. You can try putting some Karo syrup or honey along her gums to increase blood sugar. My advice, though, would be to get her to a vet ASAP to get evaluated and treated. Puppies this young and small have a very difficult time with illnesses like this and tend to go downhill very quickly. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Star is doing and to see if you have any other questions.