Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6 yearly bulldog's left eye is somewhat lazy and

Customer Question
hi my...
hi my 6 yearly bulldog's left eye is somewhat lazy and closed.....seems to be in no pain and vision seems ok. he also seems a bit more lethargic than usual
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bulldog. What is the bulldog's name and age?
Customer: fred age 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fred?
Customer: taking apoquel for foot infections otherwise very healthy/athletic
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm so sorry to hear that Fred's eye is bothering him.

Is there any discharge or redness of the eye?

Is he squinting, pawing or rubbing his face?

Are you able to send a photo?

no discharge nor redness... not pawing it either.
just a dramatic squint as he looks at me / or around..

Ok, thank you for that information.

Bulldogs, due to the shape of their face and positioning of their eyes are prone to corneal abrasions (scratches to the surface of their eyes). This is the most common cause of sudden squinting in just one eye. It can only be diagnosed by a stain of the eye by your veterinarian. If the squinting persists for more than 12-24hrs, I recommend having Fred seen by a veterinarian to have his eyes assess. If corneal ulcers are left untreated, they can become quite deep, painful and difficult to treat.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Hi, it's Dr. Denise checking in on Fred.

How is he doing today?

An update on Fred? I've been thinking about him.

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian