Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Diarrhea--unformed stools--is eating rice/chicken and

drinking water. I can't get...
Diarrhea--unformed stools--is eating rice/chicken and drinking water. I can't get him to the Vet--no help transporting. Is there a human OTC that I could use safely to help him. He messed in the house 3 nights. Not last night. I bought Kaopectate--didn't use it yet. Any expert ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Remy--about 8-9 yrs. I think--he had previous owner and was rescued. Did I mention he's just born to be a therapy dog. Such a lovely soul.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Remy?
Customer: Not connected to this issue. He had similar issue when my husband died and got over it in about 4 days. Had all sorts of tests then, could find nothing specific--possibly grief. That was 6 mo. ago, and he hasn't had it since then. He has bad--deformed joints and takes Rimadyl (just 1/4 tablet most days). Other than that he's a healthy, happy dog.
9/2/2017
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to help you....

so.....just so you are aware rimadyl can cause gastrointestinal problems sometimes as well.....not that you should not use it...just something to be aware of...you can use OTC to help with this I just have to caution you that is this is viral or bacterial then they could make him worse because you would be holding those viruses or bacteria in the body.....I hope that makes sense.....

let me get you a dose...

I need your dogs weight first....

If you will leave your dog's weight first then I will get back to you later tonight .....with a dose....thank you......

Approx. 60 lbs.

You can give a 2 mg capsule of Immodium every 8 hours for 2 days at most. If diarrhea persists or worsens see your vet immediately.If any vomiting or lack of appetite or change in behavior, see your vet.

Let me know if you have additional questions. Sincerely, DRB

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family.

Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Your help was basically what I was thinking, but didn't want to do the wrong thing. I thank you for your informed response--it provided me with guidance. Don't know if it will work, but may help alleviate the symptoms until Tuesday, at which time, should the diarrhea persist, I will contact my Vet.The only reason I didn't give you the highest rating had nothing to do with your capabilities. Rather, I dislike the gradual up-selling the site does. It was a turn off for me, and it seems that your service is good enough to not resort to that tactic. But, I'm sure you are NOT the one who decides on the sales methods. Thank you so much for your able assistance. (Remy appreciates it too!)

You are most welcome.....and no I have nothing at all to do with the sales methods at all...you can voice those concerns to customer service.....All I do is answer questions......let me know if you need additional help.

The ratings are only directed at me and have no effect on anything else on the site....any complaints would go directly to customer service and I could pass your comments on if you so desire. Take care, DRB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian