Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

One of our dogs was diagnosed with pancreatitis - she has…

Customer Question
One of our dogs...

One of our dogs was diagnosed with pancreatitis - she has vomiting, bloody stool, won't eat. The other dog has diarrhea now too (not bloody) and won't eat. With pancreatitis not being contagious, is he just upset?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Barty is a toy fox terrier. He's 10. Hayley, the one with pancreatitis is a 15 yr old papillon

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Barty?

Just that he's inseparable from Hayley who will likely lose in the next few days

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What tests did your vets do to diagnose pancreatitis?

What treatments is she on just now?

Is Barty's diarrhea mild or quite profuse?

I don't remember the name of the test but the vet told us a normal number is ***** 200 and Hayley tested at 2,000+ . Because she's 15, we don't want to put her through the trauma of hospitalization. She's on cerenia for nausea, metrinidazole for diarhea and buprenorphine for pain. My question is about Barty though- he's the one that wasn't sick but now has diarhea too. Could this be from stress because he senses what's happening with Hayley?

Hello again,

That is fine, I just wanted to make sure that the pancreatitis was diagnosed and not just assumed (since other infectious issues can look similar). Since as you rightly noted, it is not contagious but with that aside we'd have to suspect Barty's diarrhea is stress induced unless she also have a bacterial infection present that has been missed. So, wile it sounds like Hayley needs an appetite stimulant added to her treatment, we'd want to start supportive care for him at this stage.

To start, we can put him on easily digestible diet like cooked rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie benebac, fortiflora) can also be added to firm the stools quicker and support the gut. Or if he is very loose, we can also use OTC Kaolin/ Kaopectate (1-2 ml every 8-12 hours) or a Kaolin/probiotic paste (ie Protexin Prokolin, Propectalin, etc) from the local pharmacy or pet store to firm the stools further for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian