Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Salkin. What could be wrong with Molly's right eye?

Hi Dr. Salkin. What could be wrong with Molly's right eye?

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Regretfully, I'll need much better lighting to be able to assess Molly's eye for you. It's mostly in shadow in that photo. Can you try again?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this picture any better?

Yes, but I'm not sure what you're concerned about. Please clarify for me. I think you meant her left eye?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her right eye and cheek appear puffy.

Thank you. That's her left eye and cheek. Do I see a red "bleb" on her left cornea?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is that?

A healing ulcer most likely but it can represent a number of corneal disorders. The puffy cheek could have been envenomated by flying insect or spider, represent a tooth root abscess, or, most worrisome, represent neoplasia. Most important, that eye needs the attention of Molly's vet at your earliest convenience.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She woke up with it this morning. She was fine yesterday. She just had surgery on Wednesday.

Back to the vet! I don't see a connection between her sarcoma surgery, eye, and that swelling.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He won't be back in the office until Tuesday. Can it wait until then?

I really prefer that eyes be attended to promptly if only because they can "go south" in a hurry. I'm less concerned with the swelling at this time. You've got a long weekend ahead of you. Perhaps you can have a vet look at Molly on a Saturday?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Our vet doesn't have office hours again until Tuesday due to the holiday. I really don't want to go to the vet hospital if at all possible.

What do you have at home in the way of ophthalmic antibiotic products - ointment or drops?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know if I have any. What would be an example?

BNP, Terramycin, sulfacetamide...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. Can I buy them at the store?

BNP and sulfacetamide are prescription products. Terramycin ophthalmic ointiment can be found in some pet/feed stores - it often is out of stock - or online such as here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have these drops.

You mustn't use that product because it contains the potent glucocorticoid (steroid) dexamethasone which will delay healing of a corneal ulcer. It might be OK if staining of the cornea with fluoroscein reveals that the cornea is intact but we can't take the chance at this time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
then what should I do?

Have another vet attend to Molly tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How about this?

That's an antiseptic rather than antibiotic but it's better than nothing!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Terramycin is sold in petsmart but a prescription is required.

It's a non-prescription product unless you live in California.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How about Patanol?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I try giving her Benadryl?

Patanol and Benadryl are used for allergies. She isn't suffering from an allergy.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How about the swelling though?

We don't know what's causing the swelling. I suspect that it's related to her eye but your guess is as good as mine at this time how it's related to her eye.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's $110 just to walk in the door at the vet hospital.

You're killin' me...I remember when I first opened my vet hospital I was the most expensive in the area at $13 to walk in the door.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here's the latest.

I'm back to looking in the dark. The swelling looks worse?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is.

It's a mystery. Can you see a bug bite or any break in the skin associated with the swelling?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
55357;�
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
55357;�

What a face. There's inflammation of the skin around the eye, too. God knows what she got into. I have to leave my computer for the night. Please give me an update tomorrow. I'm in the PDT zone.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She seems to be better.

I never argue with success.

Thank you once again.