Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a chiahua who's owner died. She was in his death bed…

Customer Question
We have a chiahua...

We have a chiahua who's owner died. She was in his death bed for months until the end. She is so depressed that she won't even go to his wife. But she'll run up to visitors when they come over. She will sleep with the widow, but that's it. Why is this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is*****'s about 8.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Taco. How long ago did the owner pass? Is Taco still in the same house with the wife? Is he eating and drinking ok?

The owner passed on the 4th of July, 2017. Taco is still in the same house with the widow. Taco is eating and drinking ok.

That is good that Taco is still eating and drinking ok. In a situation like this, is the wife interacting with Taco in a social way? By this, I mean is she taking him on walks? Is she feeding him and being right there when fed so that he realizes she is the source of the food? Is she picking him up to sit with him and pet him?

She is doing everything she can to interact. There is no one else in the house.

Is Taco interacting with her about the same as he did prior to the other owner passing?

Ok. If he's interacting with her in a similar manner as he did prior to the passing, then it is something that time may be the factor to get this to change. What she needs to do is to continue to try and interact with him in a positive manner. Giving him treats. Getting him to go on walks with her and then socializing with petting and praise on it. Getting him to play with her through various games. Basically she needs to win him over. I know it seems pretty basic, but the more he sees her as a source of food, entertainment, socialization and love - the more he's going to try and seek attention / care from her.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian