Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 13 yr old Akita's extremely long nail on her front paw

My 13 yr old Akita's...
My 13 yr old Akita's extremely long nail on her front paw snapped off down to the quick and it is bleeding a lot and not stopping. Is there anything I can do to stop the blood? Should I get her on antibiotics?
9/1/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about your guy's injury to his nail. Is there a broken off portion of the nail still hanging on? If there is, that needs to be removed to help get the bleeding stopped. IF the nail has been broken off completely, then that is better. To get the nail bed to stop bleeding, one of the things that can work well is a bar of soap. It the broken off end of the nail can be drug across it at the same time as pushing it into the bar. It will form a plug that can stop the bleeding.

It is broken entirely off. The bleeding seems to be slowing down. Initially it was a tremendous amount of blood. It is down to the quick. I'm worried about infection. Should I try to get her on antibiotics? Should I try to clean it with anything?

The chance of this getting infected is pretty darn minimal. I typically don't do antibiotics at my ER for broken nails like this. IF you try and clean it, it most likely will get it bleeding pretty good again. Some flour can help to get the bleeding to stop too. I like the bar of soap if it is broke off and it is just the end of the nail that is exposed and bleeding.

Ok - the bleeding has pretty much stopped. I will just watch it closely and see how it goes. Thank you so much!

That is good that it has pretty much stopped. It will be a little sensitive for a day or two. Let her rest and it should be ok. If she'll let you, try to trim the other nails if they are pretty long.

I will. She is on meloxicam and gabipentim for her arthritis- will that help with the sensitivity?
Those two pain medications for her arthritis will absolutely help to dull the discomfort from this torn nail.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Great - thank you so much for all your help.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian