Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an 11 year old Golden Retriever and he is getting…

Customer Question
I have an 11...

I have an 11 year old Golden Retriever and he is getting weaker in his back end. Just wondered what medication he should have and if any medications for humans is acceptable?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Ozzy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ozzy?

No he is in perfect health

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Hello?
9/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian here to help answer your questions. I am sorry to hear about Ozzy. It sounds like he is having some arthritis which is very common in older dogs, especially Goldens. Is he on any medications now?

Hello. No he is not on any medication at present.

There are no over the counter prescription anti-inflammatories. You would have to go to your vet for that. But there are some supplements you can try.

1. Glucosamine chondroitin. You can purchase this at any pet store. It takes 6-8 weeks to build up to therapeutic concentration.

2. Duralactin. This is an anti-inflammatory that works very well for arthritis pain. You can purchase it online.

3. Omega 3 fatty acids. I would get a dog, veterinary approved fatty acid supplement to add to his food. Again this can take up to 2 months to take effect, so starting now will help this.

If these do not work, I would have your vet take a look at him. You can ask about galliprant (a new non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) for dogs that helps with arthritis pain. You can also ask about other more classic NSAIDS, like rimadyl and deramax. These are essentially doggy ibuprofen. Unfortunately, all the over the counted medications including aspirin, ibuprofen and tylenol ARE VERY toxic to dogs so you cannot use those.

Keeping him lean and active will also help. Going up and down off the curb a couple of times per day will help to keep his back legs moving and keep the connections up. I know he is likely wanting to sleep with the hot weather, and that's ok. But try to get him up and moving at least a couple of times per day. This will help to clear out inflammatory joint fluid and get him producing new fluid with the supplements you add in.

Can I help you with anything else? Please let me know how I can help.